Chic rainwear, fabulous restaurants and anecdotes of Teen Wolf-like travel buddies. Man, do I have talented friends. Which makes me think, as I gear up to throw in my two cents – what better way to choose some playlist items for this dreary wet day, than to focus on a few friendship-loving ditties. I am blessed with those lifelong friends (most of whom you’ll get to know here in the nutshell) and every now and again when I’m zoning out to one of these tunes, I can’t help but count my lucky stars knowing that these fabulous gal pals belong to me. (Sorry in advance to any of the boyfriends reading, you’re theirs too… I suppose). We know you have equally as wonderful friendships in your life, and we’d love to hear all about them. In the mean time, grab a glass of red vino with your best bud and throw these tracks on as you ponder life’s oddities, paint your toes, put hot-curlers in and smack each other with pillows. That’s what girls do, right? Well, whether or not it is – enjoy this ear candy for now:
1. All My Friends – LCD Soundsystem: I normally don’t like the improper use of words like “epic” to describe life situations, but I guess in this case, this song kind of is. This beautiful indie-dance anthem is all about being just you and your friends – taking over the city on a given summer night despite all the odds. James Murphy’s honest vocals against the cascading “Teenage Wasteland”-esque keyboard and guitar loop are enough to remind you of what you have.
2. Friends – Band of Skulls: Yowza. This thumping anthem drives me nuts. The pound of the guitar, the heavy kick-drum and the raspy, muffled vocals scream youthful carelessness and wild love. “My friends, yeah, they’re so beautiful,” he chants, and I agree.
3. We Are Your Friends – Justice vs. Simian: Put on your dancing shoes, kids. I know we will! This is a feel-good, bump-to-bump anthem for you and your best gals out in the centre of the dance floor. The howl of the lyrics, “You’ll never be alone again,” is something you can expect out of us ‘nuts’ – while we’re dancing on top of the speakers in a silly, loving embrace.
4. You’ve Got The Love –Florence and The Machine: “Sometimes I feel like throwing my hands up in the air, I know I can count on you.” Enough said. This contemporary cover of the classic which was originally recorded by The Source featuring Candi Staton (the final song of Sex and the City – best TV music moment ever), is empowering and meaningful in both it’s grandiose composition and larger-than-life Florence croons.
5. To Be Young – Ryan Adams: I found the “Bio” part of this website difficult, because it asked me for my favourite artist. Yes, I listed The Boss (which is the truth), but a close second, if not tie – is Mr. Ryan Adams. Listen to that southern drawl overtop of the Americana indie-rock arrangement which oozes a free-loving vibe. It doesn’t get much better than that.
6. The World at Large – Modest Mouse: Last, but certainly not least – let’s throw back to 2003, and Good News for People Who Love Bad News. Modest Mouse, make another album, please – because lyrics like “You still got your words and you got your friends,” really keep us going.
Well, those are some starters for all of us bonding babes in the world. I guess you could say I chose them because they speak to interconnectedness and good times, which really are what we are all about…in a nutshell.